How to apply for a PhD registration

PhD (Doctorate)

Graduated from a non-Flemish institution?
  • ID card (front and back) or passport
  • Recent picture for your student card
  • Research topic, research proposal and research plan
  • Application form Registration PhD (foreign diploma)
  • CV
  • Diploma + transcripts of records of your master programme*
  • Transcripts of records of your bachelor programme**
  • If you are applying for a joint PhD, please mention this in the application form.

* we need the original as well as a certified translation if these documents are not in English, Dutch, French or German.
** Only required for the faculty of Engineering or Sciences and Bioengineering Sciences.

If you are in your final year (and you have not obtained your diploma yet), please provide an enrolment certificate drafted by the administration including:
– confirmation of current enrolment (including the type of curriculum and/or stream)
– expected date of graduation
– title of diploma you will obtain (in the original language + translated) 

Graduated from a Flemish institution after 2004?
  • PhD application form (Belgian diploma). Please note that the approval of the faculty is based on your research topic/proposal. This is another document which you need to fill out. Contact your faculty secretariat or your supervisor for more information.
  • To use the correct terminology concerning the name of your doctoral degree, please consult annex 1 of the Doctoral Regulations. In case you wish to start an interdisciplinary doctorate, please contact our PhD department in order to add the right designation.
  • After the document is signed by your faculty and supervisor, you can enrol as a PhD student.

Please note: Research plan and Application Form Registration PhD need to be completed together with your ETRO promoter please

Related content 
Activities, language and travel grants for PhD candidates