is an assistant professor (docent) at the Department of Electronics and Informatics (ETRO) at the
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), and a senior scientist at the imec research institute (Leuven, Belgium) and the radiology department of UZ Brussel (Brussels, Belgium).
He received his degree in electrical engineering in 2005 from the University of Ghent (Belgium), with a specialisation in artificial intelligence performed at the University of Granada (Spain). Following a one-year post-graduate training in numerical optimisation at the Federal University of Santa Catarina in Florianópolis (Brasil), he was a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow at the University of Lyon (France) and the Czech Technical University in Prague (Czech Republic), obtaining his PhD on image-guided radiotherapy of the lungs in 2010. He joined the ETRO department in 2012 as a post-doctoral researcher and guest lecturer on medical image analysis since 2014. He was appointed assistant professor in 2017, and is mainly contributing to the programs of biomedical engineering and applied computer science – digital health.
"Quantitative medical image analysis can aid physicians in more accurate diagnosis and therapy delivery, and has the potential to transform healthcare."
His current research focusses on medical image analysis for computed-aided diagnosis and computer-assisted interventions. He has authored over 100 journal and conference publications, 2 book chapters and 4 international patents.
His group conducts both fundamental and applied research on the following topics:
- Medical image analysis including registration, segmentation and alternative projection and reconstruction approaches.
- Computer-aided diagnosis with a particular focus on oncology and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Computer-assisted interventions including interventional radiography, image-guided radiotherapy and AR-assisted surgery.
Achievements (Honors & Awards) ■
- Third place and press award IE-net price Computer-aided diagnosis of ischemia and infarction for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke. Ine Dirks, Koenraad Nieboer, Jef Vandemeulebroucke, Ghent, Belgium, November 2018.
- 2nd Place CereVis Award Augmenting Augmented Reality with Vuforia for Hologram Registration with Microsoft’s HoloLens. Taylor Franz, Bart Jansen , Johnny Duerinck, Jef Vandemeulebroucke. AE-CAI workshop, MICCAI 2108, Granada, Spain, September 2018.
- Biomedical Industry Day Best Student Poster Inter- and intrapatient whole-body multi-modal MR image registration. Sabrina Verga, Jakub Ceranka, Jef Vandemeulebroucke, Biomedical Industry Day, Ghent, Belgium, March 2018.
- First place IE-net price Time resolved CT angiography in patients with suspicion of peripheral arterial disease. Pieter boonen, Nico Buls, Jef Vandemeulebroucke, Ghent, Belgium, November 2017
- Biomedical Industry Day Best Student Poster Determination of muscle perfusion in the foot based on dynamic 4DCT- imaging before and after revascularization surgery. Wouter Vanderlinden, Nico Buls, Jef Vandemeulebroucke, Biomedical Industry Day, Ghent, Belgium, March 2017.
- 4D Workshop Best Poster Award Variability of breathing-induced tumor motion. 4DCT – a source of misguiding information? Dhont, J., Verellen, D., Burghelea, N. M., Vandemeulebroucke, J., Van den Begin, R., Tournel, K., Storme, G. & De Ridder, M, 4D Workshop, Groningen, the Netherlands, December 2016.
- LUNA challenge 2nd Place Lung nodule classification using ETRO CAD system. A. Sonora, B. Jansen & Vandemeulebroucke, J. LUNA Workshop of the ISBI 2016 Conference in Prague, Czech Republic, April 2016.
- ICART Workshop Best Paper Award Pythagorean Mean Images for Efficient Groupwise Registration. Polfliet, M., Klein, S., Huizinga, W., de Mey, J. & Vandemeulebroucke, J. Imaging and Computer Assistance in Radiation Therapy (ICART) Workshop of MICCAI 2015 in Munich, Germany, October 2015.
- MICCAI Poster of the Day Award Respiratory motion estimation from cone- beam projections using a prior model. J. Vandemeulebroucke, J. Kybic, P. Clarysse, and D. Sarrut. Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Conference in London, United Kingdom, September 2009.
- Member of the Steering Committee of IB2, the institute of Bioinformatics in Brussels ( 2020 – present)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the VLIR-IUC Programme with the university of Santiago de Cuba, Cuba